Saturday, June 14, 2008

A little bit better than I used to be.

I'm off the day job for the summer-time to learn a new skill.
One thing that has always kinda bothered me was having to send my frames to someone else for painting/powder. Depending on another person for the appearance of my frames is kinda like having someone do my miters for me.....just doesn't feel right. So, time off+ access to a master framebuilder= I'm going to learn to paint!
So, here it is, my first paintjob. Done under the watchful eye of the one and only Dave Porter. Thanks to Dave's help it turned out pretty damn nice, huh?
It's a blood red metallic Imron over self-etching primer over a whole lot of fillet polishing.
In case you don't remember, this was to be Jeff's GDR race bike but a medical problem means Jeff will have to wait a year to go for it again. Like the previous GDR frame, this one is built for the long haul...I wonder if this one will see 12,000 miles in one year like the last one has.
Lot's of braze ons, huh? You can see the Garro seattube sleeve in full effect here too.

Ah, the beauty of fillets. Tig welding is okay, lugs are interesting, but nothing beats a nice fillet. The BB is the hardest part to finish so that's where I always look first on filleted frames...and where I leave you till next time.

Scott's bike and my second paint job coming up next!

No comments: